Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Homemade Pizza

Last night we made our own pizza at home and it was delicious. I picked up the Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough in a tube in the dairy section at Safeway yesterday for half price!

I already had sun dried tomatoes in the cupboard and crimini mushrooms from two nights ago. I grabbed some spinach from the produce section and bought some pre-cooked roasted chicken pieces. Another item I already had in my fridge is a tube of fresh Italian herbs, which I mixed into a little bit of oil.

We bake the pizza crust on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes before you add your toppings and bake for an additional 6-10 minutes. I smeared some of my herb oil on the crust and sprinkled on shredded mozzarella cheese, diced chicken, sun dried tomatoes, crimini mushrooms and onion.

When it came out of the oven I sprinkled it with a little Parmesan cheese. It was amazing. It was very light, but still was very filling. The only improvement I felt was the oil herb mixture needed more Italian herb mixture.

My significant other made his pizza his way. It consisted of sun dried tomatoes mixed into a Alfredo Marinara sauce we had in the fridge, with chicken, mushrooms, lots of onion and mozzarella cheese. I tried to only eat a bite, but I ended up eating a whole slice of his too.

Best part, I ate like 1/4 of the pizza and only put myself back 485 calories. A slice of pizza from the leading pizza chains can set you back anywhere from 300-600 calories PER slice, and we all know they don't use fresh ingredients.

Admittedly, my dough wasn't fresh and the chicken was precooked but I still think it's a step up from the fast food choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment