Monday, February 21, 2011

Before You Work Out

There's some simple steps you should take before beginning any kind of exercise regimen or workout. Taking precautions can keep you from injuring yourself or keep you from falling off your program.

1. Consult your physician before beginning any kind of diet, exercise or work out program or major lifestyle changes. This is critical to avoiding injuries to yourself.

2. Drink plenty of water and make sure you eat something with in an hour or two of exercising, but not right before hand. Try and give yourself 30 minutes after eating before working out.

3. Stretch! This is very important, I know it takes extra time and may seem unnecessary, but this will keep you from hurting yourself. Hurting yourself will prevent you from maintaining a regular workout. Remember to only stretch until you're at your limit and hold it for 10-20 seconds at a time.

4. If you do start to hurt listen to your body. Dull pain is generally ok and you can just lighten up a little if you need. Your muscle should hurt a little :) Sharp pain however, can be a sign of a serious injury and you should stop what you are doing and give your body time to rest and recuperate before you begin again.

5. Start slow. Beginners should limit workout times to 10 or 15 minutes and build up slowly adding 5 minutes to their workout routine every week. Pushing yourself too hard will most likely cause you to injure yourself or get frustrated and give up.

6. Don't give up, it gets easier. I can tell you honestly that I hated any kind of physical exercise for almost my entire life, but each day gets a little easier and I'm starting to like it.

7. Tell your friends and family, they will congratulate you and support you. I know it sounds dumb, like you are bragging or something, but if they love you, they will have nothing but encouragement for you.

I hope these tips help. They are working for me so I am happy to share. I've been working out for about 2 months now and I am down 10 pounds, 2 pant sizes and have lost 12 inches from my body!!

No comments:

Post a Comment