Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Twist on Pancakes

So due to the snow my kids stayed home this morning, and I was kind of stumped on what to make for breakfast to make everyone happy. I had an ample supply of pancake mix, so pancakes won!

Looking for a healthier alternative to loads of butter and syrup, I went through the cupboards and found a wide variety of dried fruit and berries. In the fridge I had a bottle of maraschino cherries.

We had a large selection to pick from including: Raisins, dried apricots, Craisins and blueberry Craisins, (blueberry Craisins are cranberries that are soaked in blueberry juice and then dried, they are sweeter then regular Craisins) and of course the maraschino cherries!

I made myself 3 small pancakes and chose apricots, blueberry Craisins, and the cherries for my picks. My daughter had raisins and my son had regular Craisins, so they each got one medium sized pancakes.

Now the kids still opted for butter and syrup, so I gave them just a little butter and barely drizzled syrup over their pancakes. If I left the portioning of syrup up to my kids their plates would be covered in the stuff. I chose the healthier route and added a sprinkling of powdered sugar over my fruity little pancakes.

The pancakes turned out amazing! Best part? I was only able to eat half of each of the little pancakes before I was stuffed. So I had a healthy breakfast, I'm full, and it tasted like dessert. Yum!

How do you liven up your pancakes? I'm thinking we should have waffles soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment