Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My favorite breakfast

I have found I really enjoy nuts and dried fruits. As a kid, I was never thrilled with trail mix. Premixed varieties always have something I don't like, or not enough of what I do like. I like making my own trail mix every morning for breakfast. I keep a large container of my choice of nuts (I really like honey roasted peanuts, cashews and pistachios) and a variety of dried fruits in the house.

In the morning I just grab a small handful of the nuts (golf ball size is a portion of nuts) and about half as much of dried fruits and/or berries. My current favorite combination is honey roasted peanuts and raisins.

Not only is this a healthy snack but it fills me up and keeps me going for quite a while. But it also is great cause it satisfies that sweet, salty and savory craving most people suffer from. Another great reason for buying the components individually is you can mix it up from day to day or people. My daughter likes raisins, but my son likes the blueberry Craisins.

Try making your own trail mix and throw it in snack baggies in your purse or desk drawer for a quick but filling snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment