Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Taco Bell or Taco Hell on your diet?

For lunch today my significant other offered to bring home lunch. I was having a hankering for Taco Bell, so I decided to do a little research on Taco Bell's nutritional facts. I came across some things that I was happy with, then I noticed some things that just took my breath away.

Number one would be Taco Bell's Volcano Nachos. Holy cow are these things bad for you. I wouldn't even recommend eating a half an order. There's a whopping 980 calories in these bad boys.

Let's list the facts:

980 calories,
560 calories from fat
9 grams of saturated fat
60 grams of total fat
0.5 grams trans fat
45 mg of cholesterol
1620 mg of sodium
89 grams of carbs
15 grams of fiber
6 grams of sugar
21 grams of protein

Now I will commend them on the fact that the Volcano Nachos do offer about 50% of our recommended fiber for the day. I however, do not think it outweighs the amount of calories, fat, and the 66% of sodium you get from these puppies.

Number two on my list is Taco Bells Taco Salads. I have to admit I have a bit of a beef to pick here. Taco Bell offers 4 taco salads, but don't be fooled! The Taco Salads range from 660-910 calories!! The salad section on Taco Bell's nutrition site has the highest caloric value average for all the groups.

If you really want Taco Bell, and I do, look at the nutrition facts and find the things you like that are the lowest in calories, the crunchy taco only has 170 calories, the beef soft taco only 210 calories, or try one of the many Fresco options they offer.

Just stay away from those Volcano Nachos. Your heart and waistline will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment